Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Pictures of Robots, Part II of III

It's always a good time when my brother Nick comes up to visit. We go record shopping, comic shopping and just hang out. Basically, we do everything I usually do by myself, only when he's around, it's not entirely pathetic. First off, here's a list of everything I "acquired" over the weekend.

CDs:
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Film School - S/T
David Garza - Overdub
Howlin' Maggie - Honeysuckle Strange
Karate - Some Boots
The Make-Up - In Mass Mind
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Minmae - Le Grand Essor de la Maison du Monstre
Michael Penn - Mr. Hollywood Jr., 1947
Tortoise - S/T
We Ragazzi - The Ache

DVDs:
David Cross - Let America Laugh
Once Upon a Time in the West

VHS:
Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Cave Dwellers
Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Eegah
Mystery Science Theater 3000 - The Gunslinger
Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Red Zone Cuba


Comics:
Army of Darkness #13
Army of Darkness vs. Darkman #3
Zombies vs. Robots #2


While walking around on N. High Street, we noticed that the city doesn't give a fuck about shoveling the sidewalks. We noticed this while trudging through the brown-ish snow, commenting about how we should be wearing those tennis racket things on our feet. It felt like we were competing in the Iditarod.

We also stopped into the McDonald's to use the bathroom and grab a small bite, since neither of us had eaten anything yet, and it was about 4 pm. We had the most fucked-up, David Lynchian McDonald's experience ever. The girl took my order and then walked away and stood back, staring at me. Just eye-balling me. No idea why. The other woman was on the phone with someone she was obviously upset with. There was a probably 70 year-old woman making our food behind the line. The same thing happened to Nick. The girl was eyeballing him. It made us both very self-conscious. And then when we sat down there was a guy eating a Fishwich that would occasionally look over at us and giggle to himself. We finished our food and left promptly.

When we got in, we had began ripping our CDs into our respective laptops, ripping each other's as well. Amy made a fantastic pasta dish with pancetta. After dinner, we hung out. I bought Amy a computer game, so when I was done ripping CDs, she took over and played her game most of the night. Nick and I watched a movie called Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except. It's a very early Sam Raimi movie, which I'll probably write about in DVD reviews. After that we put in one of my MST3K videos, which was, naturally, terrible and very hard to follow.

On Monday, I took Amy and Nick to eat lunch at work. We went for some tempura. We all had something different, and we were all impressed with what we got. It was all amazing and it was a lot more food than we expected. Nothing like fried veggies.

Like I said, I always have a good time when Nick's in town or I'm in Bowling Green. I get a little bummed whenever he leaves or I leave, though. Because I know that I have to return to what's going on with me right now. Not to say that I'm miserable, which I'm definitely not, but it always reminds me of all the good times I had in Bowling Green, hanging out with friends, people I have some things in common with. Watching weird movies, having some drinks. It reminds me of what I left behind when I moved here, because although I do the same things here, I do them usually by myself these days.

No comments: