Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Completely uncalled for

Apparently I provoke a lot of anger at work, without really even meaning to.

Here's the scene: in the back office there's a series of computers, each one meant for a different department. The offending ([unreasonably] offended?) party was sitting at his computer, and I went to sit down at my computer, seeing that there was a box in the way of where my legs would be, had I sat down. So I moved the box to the right, between my chair and the schmo, sat down and logged on. The guy was mad for some reason.

"Woah, woah, woah. Hold on there."
"What?"
"Isn't that Kathleen's box?"
"Yeah..........and?"
"That doesn't belong in my space."

I ignore that last comment and continue my typing. A few seconds later, Mr. Jackass grabs the box by one of its top flaps and yanks it backwards, sliding it quickly to the middle of the room, under the big table in the middle of the room.

Reasonably perplexed, I ask, "Was that really offending you?"
"Are you still talking?"
"Awesome. Way to deal with others."

Now, here's where I become a little proud of myself. Instead of asking him, "Hey, what the fuck's your goddamn problem," because there were other people in the room, I decided on another route.

I finished up my work, logged off the computer and went towards the box. I pulled it back, placed it exactly where it had offended him, and walked out of the room.

I don't know what it is about me, but for some reason I provoke angry retribution from other people, unknowing that I had trespassed some social rule in the first place.

No comments: