Monday, August 21, 2006

There are dead animal spirits everywhere.

Note: I've fallen a little behind on my posting, so today may either be a multiple post day, or hopefully nothing post-able happens today.

Friday night Amy and I went out with a few friends. We went out with Sarah and Kristen, two people I haven't seen in a few years. Everyone was in town, so Amy and I went out with them and their boyfriends. It was an interesting evening and fun was had by all.

That said, it was definitely not my scene. I felt very out of place. Sarah told us to meet them at a place called the Lodge Bar in the Arena District in Columbus. I thought, "That sounds nice. I laid back bar, we can all just hang out and have a good time." Amy and I drive there and our first sign that we didn't know what we were in for was the fact that we couldn't find a parking spot that didn't cost us. Suspecting nothing, Amy and I went into the evening carrying no cash, expecting nothing extravagant.

We had to borrow money from Sarah's boyfriend Brian, who was very nice to lend it to us. And since there was a cover fee at the bar, he gave us money for that, too.

We drove around the block about nine fucking times, and almost hit about a dozen self-centered dumb motherfuckers who would've been better off with me running them down. One time, I was driving straight down the road and a gaggle of guys ambled right in front of us. I threw up my hands in the car as if to say, "What the fuck, douche?" One of the guys gets all indignant and yells something I can't hear, but what I can only assume was, "Please kill me, my life is worthless and I am a drain on everyone around me."

We park and walk across the street to the bar and meet Brian outside of the bar. We walk in, we pay cover, and I look at what I am in for. Essentially, it was one of the bars/clubs like I could find in Bowling Green. Whichever one. Doesn't matter, as they're all the same. This one is Hunting Lodge-themed, but still with slut-bumping music and me feeling very awkward. And feeling out of place puts me in a position where I compensate by having a very weird sense of humor.

At one point, Amy told me to turn around and look over the bar. There were several television screens, two or three of which were broadcasting a closed-circuit feed of the dance floor fifty feet away from us. "How vain are these people," I ask.
We hang out and talk over the loud music, I show Sarah my photos on my new camera phone, which include a Gamecube controller, a Triple Score tile on a Scrabble board, and a close-up of my George A. Romero's Land of the Dead poster.

Back to my awkwardness and my compenstation. I get a very straight-faced mood where I start saying crazy shit about myself and see if other people believe it. That comes into play later.

We leave the Lodge Bar and head towards another bar called It's Brothers, or something like that. It's essentially the same thing as the first one, except with less deer heads on the wall. There are big-screen televisions and one of them is playing Letterman. "Oh, man - this looks like a good one," I think to myself. I refuse to miss Letterman these days - he's been fucking hilarious lately.

As I've decided to drive for the evening, I'm pacing myself. Amy decides to order some shots. She orders three Stop Lights. I'm not quite sure what they are, but they involve three different shot glasses, one red, one yellow and one green. Apparently you toss them back in succession.

While she's getting those things, Brian and I are left at the table talking. He comments on how all the girls are completely whored out. I agree, adding, "Well, I like to get whored out myself, too sometimes. On the weekends, mostly."
Brian replies, "But today's a Friday."
"Yeah, I usually do it on Saturday nights."
"So what do you wear? Like a skirt and stuff?"
"Yeah, I have a skirt and a pretty kickin' thong I wear. And fishnets and a tight blouse."
Brian seems a little weirded out and asks, "Are you a pothead, too? Do you take some Chiba with you?"
"What?"
"Are you a pothead?"
"Oh - no. I'm high on Jesus."


Amy brings back the shots and everyone seems hesitant and she keeps egging everyone on. Eventually, Brian's game and he and Amy toss back the shots in succession. Except, Brian takes a drink of his beer afterwards and Amy comments on how she doesn't need a chaser. Amy pokes a little fun and goes, "Hey, Brian - why don't you tuck your vagina back in?"

Everyone laughs out loud - I'm glad no one took offense. I kiss Amy on the cheek and say, "Amy, that's why I love you."

The girls and Kristen's boyfriend go dancing, and Brian and I are at the table again - we both don't care to dance very much. I'm definitely not drunk enough to dance. However, I am looking at the other people around me and I spot a couple dancing that makes me smile.

There's a guy and a girl, and the girl is wearing a blouse that emphasizes her chest - it's one of those things where there's a hoists the breasts and the low cut shows the cleavage. The guy looks down at her chest. The girl looks at the guy's face and sees that he's looking at her chest. She then looks down at her own chest and smiles. Apparently they both enjoy what they are seeing.

Eventually, it's after 1 a.m., and I've been up since 5:45 a.m. and worked a long day, so I ask Amy if she's ready to leave. She says she's ready whenever, as she's pretty drunk at this point. We all say our goodbyes and we go home and immediately go to bed.

It was a lot of fun, and I was glad to hang out with someone I know. I've been here a couple months and I haven't made many friends. It's just good to know there are people in the area I already have existing friendships with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I smile whenever I look at my boobs. ... ... ... or something.

My best friend took me to Spice and Sugar, two unfortunately named bars in the Short North, and I'd totally forgotten just how desperate people act in skanked-out bars. I almost puked just watching the hoochie girls and the guys who went after them. It was kind of depressing.

Then again, I'm single, maybe I need to learn something about hoochifying.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god ... your girlfriend's comment about Brian tucking his vagina back in made me cry I was laughing so hard. haha - she's great!