Thursday, August 03, 2006

"This is the most interesting conversation I've ever had."

I was at work last night, and a co-worker and I were exchanging stories about crazy people. I told him a few of the occurrences from my days at Grounds.

The first is about this man who was telling me about medical procedures. His name was Star Traveler. He'd had it legally changed. His checks are printed with this:

Star Traveler ("Robert")

He was passing through past the counter, and I said, "Can I help you?"
He responds, "Do you have a spaceship?"
We share a laugh. I realize he's only partly joking.
He returns a short time later to the counter with a book on Native American Heritage, which I have since learned that this is the norm for Star Traveler. While I am ringing up the book, he begins telling me about the advanced ways he is used to healing people, as opposed to the way we "do things here." He describes the use of "reverse lasers," which, according to "Robert," are way less invasive than how we cut people open. He gave an example of how, if someone had a tumor, than he could use a reverse laser to draw energy out of the tumor rather than point the laser and shoot the tumor. This way, there would be no scars from the operation and there would be no risk of surgical accidents happening. He also showed me a scar on his head from his childhood where he hit his head really hard on the ceiling of a staircase. He said that if it weren't for his advanced healing practices, he would have suffered severe brain damage.

"That's rich," I thought.

In fact, the whole time, I was thinking that I love having conversations with people that are out of their minds. In no other conversation I've ever had have reverse lasers come up. I kept asking him questions and engaging his conversation because I wanted to know what else he was going to talk about. Luckily it wasn't busy at all, so I could give him my full attention.

The most interesting thing to me was the fact that he knew what he was talking about. At no point did it seem like he was making it up as he went along, or break character or anything like that. I don't know if there are aliens out there. I don't know if what he was telling me was actually true. But I will say that if he did make it all up, he definitely spent some time thinking about it, to the point that being able to explain it all was definitely within his reach of believability.

I think that, in the end, I bridged the gap between cultures that could possibly prevent the invasion and destruction of the planet Earth. Be thankful.

1 comment:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I love meeting people like that!