Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I never even liked the smell of it.

I subscribe to Gmail's services. It's a great email service - easy to use, lots of space, a spam filter.



Speaking of spam.


There's this little feature that kind of reads what is in the subject or part of the body of an email, and then gives me a link to go to related to whatever they pick out. For instance, my brother Nick emailed me his wishlist, as his birthday is fast-approaching. In it, he asked for a few zombie-related horror DVDs. The email service picked out a few choice keywords from the body and gave me a link to a website that sells rare horror films.

Also, occasionally, the email will suggest recipes and give me a link to one. More often than not, they involve Spam as a main ingredient.

Dear Gmail: I do not want to make Spam tacos, Spam casserole, or Spam wraps. I hate Spam.



It seems that, due to the high frequency of spam messages being sent to everyone around the world, and to my inbox (which thankfully is filtered into a separate "Spam Folder") in particular, the email seems to think that I love Spam, seeing as though I indeed have a folder titled "Spam".

What kind of circular logic do computers have?

And people are worried that computers will rise up and overthrow governments, thus ruling the world and, according to The Matrix, use our energy to power themselves. I can't see this happening if they keep trying to feed us Spam. Humans would not live long enough to see this apocalypse occur.

No comments: